1. What does referencing an issue mean? Is it related to PR?

Github allows you to reference issues using the #XXX notation, where XXX is
the issue number. So typically PRs are opened to solve issues and you
should reference the issue you are trying to solve in the PR.

2. Almost every issue goes over my head. What should I do so that I can
understand them better?

Read the issue of interest and then ask specific questions about it there
in the conversation about the issue. People will respond to help clarify
things.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791