I just played with it and apparently it only does that if you enable
required status checks in the branch protection settings (like requiring
travis-ci). I guess the idea is that you don't know if the tests are valid
with a new merge base or not.

I guess this makes sense for repos where the tests run quickly and merging
results in a deployment somewhere. I think it makes less sense for SymPy or
PyDy since releases are done separately and occasional test failures in
master are not the end of the world, especially since this would mean
running the tests way more often and backing up the Travis queue even more
(at least for SymPy, that would be pretty bad).

Aaron Meurer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6%2BFfE70KWDF5vM81C-R60AxVP2xeWWbQ4uLDfWN3PSmYA%40mail.gmail.com.