It seems that many other scipy related packages handle this by giving big
warnings at the top of old doc pages to manually redirect you. This seems
to work for me the vast majority of the time, only occasionaly to I get
stuck on old, for example. Readthedocs does this for your automatically too
and has a nice sidebar that tells you what version of the docs you are on.

I'm not in favor of removing old docs because it is a real pain for the
user to build old docs. I'd be more in favor of warnings on old doc pages.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/0b37c004-410b-4b4c-9b26-04375ac9392a%40googlegroups.com.