On Friday, 4 August 2017 19:16:04 UTC-4, Aaron Meurer wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 6:19 PM, Francesco Bonazzi <franz....@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> On Friday, 4 August 2017 17:34:25 UTC-4, Aaron Meurer wrote:
>>>
>>> You can try this, but I foresee problems reusing I=sqrt(-1) the complex
>>> number as i the quaternion. Mathematically they aren't the same thing, but
>>> even in terms of SymPy, ImaginaryUnit is burdened with things like
>>> assumptions, which might cause issues with quaternions.
>>>

>> Implementing quaternions should be simple. Deciding how they interact
>> with the rest of SymPy may be more complicated.
>>

> If you implement them like Ondrej suggested, as a 4-tuple, they will
> interact badly. Even just adding a scalar to a quaternion will be difficult
> to make work, as the scalar x would have to be converted to (x, 0, 0, 0)
> first.
>
> On the other hand, if the quaternions i, j, and k are just special
> noncommutative expressions, then they will interact just fine, because
> SymPy already knows how to deal with noncommutative expressions.  The only
> hard thing will be making things like i**2 and i*j auto-simplify (if
> desired). The former can be done with _eval_power, and the latter with Mul
> postprocessors.

That's one way to go, even if I'm not so sure on whether *i* should be
different from the complex numbers. I don't think we need the
postprocessors, setting a right value for *_op_priority* should be enough
in this case. Postprocessors are meant to handle more complicated cases.

>>> And maybe even you could do something with the Mul processors to make
>>> them auto-simplify, if that's what is desired.
>>>

>> I would suggest an immediate evaluation in this case.
>>
>> Maybe a Quaternion class is the simplest way to implement quaternions.
>>

> What do you mean by a Quaternion class? Are you thinking something more
> like my or Ondrej's suggestion?

Well, sort of. We could have a class that stores four arguments and
overrides __mul__ and __add__ to behave as a Quaternion.

Its constructor could have some special properties, such as:

   - return the first argument only if the other ones are zero (a real
   number).
   - return a complex number if the last two arguments are zero (a complex
   number).
   - in the printer, expressions such as Quaternion(0, 0, a, 0) should be
   printed as *a*j* where *j = Quaternion(0, 0, 1, 0)*.

Some possible extensions remain:

   - how should functions of quaternions behave? Like *exp(q)*, *sin(q)*,
   *log(q)*?
   - how should quaternions interact with matrices?
   - how should quaternions behave in equation solvers?
   - limits and derivatives of quaternions?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/306a9ea8-8d59-4535-8f9e-35f7b245d696%40googlegroups.com.