Hello Ondrej,

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 5:46:14 AM UTC+5:30, Ondřej Čertík wrote:

> Hi Nikhil,
>

> Depending on the application of this, it probably makes sense to use Clang
> to parse the C or C++ code and then go over the Clang AST and extract
> expressions from it and convert them to SymPy where it makes sense.
>
> Would you be interested in doing this (also) for Fortran? See these ideas:
>

> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2019-Ideas#lfortran-sympy-project-ideas
>

> especially the "Parsing Fortran code to SymPy". That would be something I
> would be very interested in, and yes, I would be happy to mentor it.
>
> Perhaps we could do both C and Fortran in your proposal. For C that would
> be relatively easy due to Clang. For Fortran you would use my LFortran
> compiler. There the parser actually requires some development. C already
> has a modern production open source compiler/parser (Clang), but Fortran
> doesn't yet, and that's one thing I am trying to fix with LFortran (see
> https://docs.lfortran.org/ for other motivation).
>
> On the SymPy side, we definitely want to do both C and Fortran, so this
> would naturally lead you to design a good interface that works for both.
> Similarly as our code generation interface works for both C and Fortran.
>
> If you are interested in developing a parser and semantic representation
> of the language so that this can be done, then Fortran actually would be a
> great choice because this is exactly where we need help with LFortran.
> While for C this has already been developed in Clang, so I would suggest to
> just use it.
>
> Let me know your interests, and we can discuss further details.
>
> Ondrej

Hello Ondrej,

Thank you for showing interest in my project. It will be an honor to work
with you on this project.

I would love to include parsing Fortran in the proposal. I would like to
help as much as I can. Sympy has made doing mathematics so much convenient,
whatever I can do to make it more convenient for others, I will try my best.

There was a dicussion i saw in a thread about being able to understand
simple instructions like 'integrate sin x over x' and convert them to sympy
syntax. That will be a long and complex task. But this project can be
extended further after fortran and C to understand natural language.
But, for now first i would like to focus on Fortran and C first. I'll read
the clang and Lfortran documentation asap and start working on a plan.

I would also like to thank you for creating sympy. it made doing complex
mathematics so much better. Instead of just looking at some mix of keywords
and operators which is very hard to understand, we can actually see and
understand what we're doing.

I'll get to work now

Sincerely,
Nikhil Maan