On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 6:51 PM Nikhil Maan <nikhilmaa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Ondrej,
>
> On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 5:46:14 AM UTC+5:30, Ondřej Čertík wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nikhil,
>>

>> Depending on the application of this, it probably makes sense to use Clang
>> to parse the C or C++ code and then go over the Clang AST and extract
>> expressions from it and convert them to SymPy where it makes sense.
>>
>> Would you be interested in doing this (also) for Fortran? See these ideas:
>>
>> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2019-Ideas#lfortran-sympy-project-ideas
>>
>> especially the "Parsing Fortran code to SymPy". That would be something I
>> would be very interested in, and yes, I would be happy to mentor it.
>>
>> Perhaps we could do both C and Fortran in your proposal. For C that would be
>> relatively easy due to Clang. For Fortran you would use my LFortran
>> compiler. There the parser actually requires some development. C already has
>> a modern production open source compiler/parser (Clang), but Fortran doesn't
>> yet, and that's one thing I am trying to fix with LFortran (see
>> https://docs.lfortran.org/ for other motivation).
>>
>> On the SymPy side, we definitely want to do both C and Fortran, so this
>> would naturally lead you to design a good interface that works for both.
>> Similarly as our code generation interface works for both C and Fortran.
>>
>> If you are interested in developing a parser and semantic representation of
>> the language so that this can be done, then Fortran actually would be a
>> great choice because this is exactly where we need help with LFortran. While
>> for C this has already been developed in Clang, so I would suggest to just
>> use it.
>>
>> Let me know your interests, and we can discuss further details.
>>
>> Ondrej
>

> Hello Ondrej,
>
> Thank you for showing interest in my project. It will be an honor to work
> with you on this project.
>
> I would love to include parsing Fortran in the proposal. I would like to help
> as much as I can. Sympy has made doing mathematics so much convenient,
> whatever I can do to make it more convenient for others, I will try my best.
>
> There was a dicussion i saw in a thread about being able to understand simple
> instructions like 'integrate sin x over x' and convert them to sympy syntax.
> That will be a long and complex task. But this project can be extended
> further after fortran and C to understand natural language.
> But, for now first i would like to focus on Fortran and C first. I'll read
> the clang and Lfortran documentation asap and start working on a plan.

Natural language parsing is a whole other beast. I would suggest
sticking to C and Fortran. A project to handle natural language
queries could easily fill a whole summer on its own.

Aaron Meurer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6%2B8DpW1Ffgg9mZxi9O_1ar6aZK4%3Dftg2NA72mnbeN9bow%40mail.gmail.com.