Hi Fotios,

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019, at 10:15 AM, bpapapet...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Fotios Anagnostopoulos and I am a Phd student at National
> and Kapodistrian Uni. of Athens,Greece.
> My field is Cosmology and Modified Theories of Gravity (i. e
> https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.01301).
> A thought of mine is to construct a module able to accelerate
> scientific calculations in these fields and also to provide an open
> source alternative to
> (with regard to certain tasks) well-known commercial software.
>
> My question is if there is interest from the community to this
> direction. I include a draft of my proposal.Please feel free to comment.

I am very much so interested in a project like this. If you search the sympy
mailinglist archive, you can find many discussions on precisely this topic. As
I said there, general relativity was one of my main motivations why I started
SymPy while I was at university. We have examples how to compute, say, the
Schwarzschild metric
(https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/7e4048eea4c39c1abded6d5be811d17629a278d7/examples/advanced/relativity.py),
 as well as the tensor module (that came later) and I didn't even know about
the GraviPy package.

It would be very useful to lots of people to have a more advanced module in
sympy that can handle things like the xAct (http://www.xact.es/) open source
library that you mention in your proposal. Essentially an equivalent of xAct,
but on top of SymPy.

So why don't you think about the details: can SymPy do everything that is
needed for xAct, what would be the design of the sympy module, can we follow a
similar design as xAct, or improve upon it, what would be a minimal set of
features that are possible to achieve in one summer that would still make the
module useful to people at the end, and then what features would be implemented
by the community later (e.g., roadmap after the summer), etc.

Also, make sure you satisfy a patch requirement for SymPy
(https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2019-Student-Instructions, point 4.).

If you have any questions, please ask.

Ondrej

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/b4e698e8-2114-4b93-a794-5501e8e447f9%40www.fastmail.com.