In the process of working on handling spaces in latex, I had two
realizations. First, spaces in Latex math could mean "multiply two
variables" or it could just be a way of managing layout of the expression.
(I posted examples in https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/19075).

My second realization was that it might be easier to remove the aspects of
the Latex string that are related to presentation. Specifically in this
case, replace a Latex string's "\ " with " " and replace "\," with " "
before passing the string to Sympy.

Kindly,

Ben