On 25/05/2020 23:42, Ben wrote:

     You're totally correct -- Latex is ambiguous. I don't find your
    observation discouraging since it is perfectly reasonable.

The issue I'm interested in tackling is the conversion of math presented in Physics papers (e.g., .tex files on arxiv.org) to a semantically meaningful and unambiguous representation (e.g., Sympy).

This issue would be moot if Physics papers were written in Sympy.  I don't have insight on how to construct incentives that would lead to use of Sympy in Physics papers, so I'm working on the Latex-to-Sympy approach.

Right - well in that case, maybe a system of hints that the user could add to your parser, would be really useful. For example if a user could tell your parser that superscripts were usually tensor subscripts rather than exponents (or alternatively that certain symbols used as superscripts would never mean exponents) you could come out with a better translation. Another useful hint, might be a list of the multi-letter symbols in use - sin, cos, exp, ln etc. so that you could resolve your ambiguity of what ab means - I mean sometimes sin(x) might mean s*i*n(x) and that could be handled by user specifying that only certain  multi-letter symbols were in use.

David