On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 5:45:39 AM UTC-5 hanspete...@fhnw.ch wrote:

> In SymPy, str() is meant to be copy-paste-d.  See
> https://docs.sympy.org/latest/tutorial/printing.html#st
> <https://docs.sympy.org/latest/tutorial/printing.html#str>

Let me restate my question. I am clear on what the sympy standard is.  What
I am unclear about is how this works with other libraries that sympy
depends upon? For example mpmath (see
https://mpmath.org/doc/current/basics.html#printing).  For mpmath the str()
representation is not equivalent to the repr(), although str() should still
work as valid python. Are there other places where sympy uses external
libraries where the output of print() and str() potentially varies from the
sympy standard?

Jonathan