Hi all.

As you may know, SymPy Gamma (https://sympygamma.com/) is a site that works
similar to Wolfram Alpha, but using SymPy under the hood. SymPy Gamma runs
on the Google App Engine.

Currently our Google App Engine bills are over $100 a month, with about 3/4
going to SymPy Gamma and the rest going to SymPy Live. These bills are paid
from our SymPy NumFOCUS account, which is funded from donations.

This is all money that would be better spent on the SymPy community.

Additionally, SymPy Gamma is currently very under-maintained.  As you can
see from https://github.com/sympy/sympy_gamma, the most recent commit was
from April of last year.  These changes are mostly maintenance changes. No
major features have been added to the site since 2014. Furthermore, the
site runs SymPy 1.6.2, which was released in 2020. The primary issue is
that none of us on the SymPy development team are web developers, so are
not really able to do much with the site.

What I would like to see is for someone to convert SymPy Gamma  to
something that uses pyiodide so that it runs entirely in the browser and
does not require any hosting costs.  However, this would require someone to
step up and volunteer to do this. It would also be good to do something
similar for SymPy Live (live.sympy.org and the extension in docs.sympy.org),
although this is lower priority right now because SymPy Live is only
costing a third of what SymPy Gamma is.

By the way, if you are interested in doing this, it might be possible to
get paid to do it via a NumFOCUS small development grant. See
https://groups.google.com/g/sympy/c/VI1BJiWH_aY. Reach out to me if you are
interested.

Barring this, I suggest we shut down SymPy Gamma entirely. We will leave
the source code up if anyone wants to run it themselves on the App Engine.