I believe the App Engine already works that way. It is on a tiered system,
meaning the first X hours are free and any further hours are billed at some
rate. Based on the current billing table, I believe if we switched off
billing so that it turned off once the free tier is used up each month,
then Gamma would only last for about the first 10 days of each month, and
Live would only last for about the first 20 days (assuming I did the math
on it right. The Google Cloud console is not easy to read).

Simply switching off billing for Gamma may be better than shutting it down
entirely, with a note on the main page that it may not function at all
times until it can be updated.

Aaron Meurer