You can run JupyterLite with a full blown Jupyter Lab here
https://jupyterlite.readthedocs.io/en/latest/_static/lab/index.html.
It includes SymPy. It seems to offer persistence. It's not really
clear to me where the files are stored but they must be stored
somewhere because when I reload the page the notebooks are all still
there, and I even have some notebooks from when I tried it 7 months
ago that are still there.

The SymPy Live shell is just designed to be a mini "try sympy" shell
that you can use on the SymPy website. We'd also like to add something
using it to the docs so you can easily run the documentation examples
(similar to the existing SymPy Live extension in the docs).

Aaron Meurer