The passing of Kalevi Suominen truly a loss for the SymPy community.

I had the honor of meeting Kalevi face to face once on a video call
many years ago, but other than that, like everyone else, I primarily
interacted with him online. Kalevi was always known in the SymPy
community as the mathematics expert. As a retired professor of
mathematics, his knowledge greatly assisted the development of some of
the deep mathematical areas in SymPy, such as the polynomials and
group theory modules. He was always available to give advice whenever
I was unsure of some part of SymPy that was outside of my domain of
expertise. I was always impressed by the breadth of his mathematical
knowledge, as well as his skill as a Python programmer, a combination
which can be rare to see.

Yet despite being easily the most mathematically adept member of the
community, he never lorded it over us, but always approached every
interaction with kindness and humility. He considered himself to be an
equal and as both a teacher and a learner. He can be a model for the
sort of contributor and community member we should all strive to be,
and our project was truly lucky to have him.

I found some of the papers and books he wrote on Google Scholar
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C32&q=Kalevi+Suominen&oq=
and MathSciNet (but this requires a subscription to view, which I do
not have) https://mathscinet.ams.org/mathscinet/MRAuthorID/209375. He
never mentioned this work, and it seems like most of it deals with
technical mathematical areas which are not directly relevant to SymPy.

I'll close on the following paragraphs from Kalevi himself, which I
found in an old private email from 2018, on why he contributed to
SymPy:

> Being retired, I consider myself lucky as I can work with open code
> on my own time with no pressure. It seems that many pensioners find
> themselves a hobby. This is what suits me.
>
> I originally came across SymPy when searching for a mathematical
> library for experimenting with some algorithms. It was (almost)
> "love at first sight". It does not matter that the language, Python,
> is not the most efficient one. It is easy to work with, and very much
> readable. Readability is important to me as it helps in finding
> errors. (That is what I had been doing for a great part of my
> professional life.) It was also of importance to me that functions
> would look familiar, sin(x), not Sin[x]. Instead of simply using
> SymPy I finally found myself wanting to improve the library,
> but that is another story.

Aaron Meurer