> SymPy does not really support old versions with maintenance releases
> so it does not really have a "support cycle" in the sense that SPEC 0
> seems to describe. There can be a bugfix release shortly after a
> feature release to fix some obvious regressions but that is basically
> it.

This fact alone would be worth notating in that document. It's not
always obvious to what degree different packages support older
versions.

I have reread the text of SPEC 0, and I believe it means "support cycle"
differently from what seems to be Oscar's interpretation. Adopting SPEC 0
does not mean "SymPy developers provide support for vX.Y until AAAA-BB-CC".
Rather the meaning of SPEC 0 is "SymPy developers recommend that packages
that depend on SymPy should aim to support vX.Y until AAAA-BB-CC". In other
words SPEC 0 does not represent additional commitments, but rather it
describes how rapidly the code evolves. I believe it is useful for
coordinating dependency versions of other packages in the ecosystem.

Does this remark clarify the usefulness of adding SymPy to SPEC 0?

Anton

Aaron Meurer

> SymPy itself broadly tries to have wide version support for other
> packages like numpy just because without listing them as hard
> dependencies there is no way to indicate which versions sympy is
> compatible with. There is no way to put version constraints on
> optional dependencies in pip/PyPI land.
>
> Oscar
>
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 at 14:24, Anton Akhmerov <anton.a...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > There is now SPEC 0, a SciPy-community-wide standard for versions of
different packages that developers should aim supporting, see
https://scientific-python.org/specs/spec-0000/

> > I believe Sympy is the biggest package missing from SPEC 0, and I've
asked the maintainers of SPEC 0 what is the best way to proceed (
https://discuss.scientific-python.org/t/spec-0-include-sympy/975?u=akhmerov).
They appear to welcome the idea and recommended to reach out via this
mailing list.

> > So here's the question I'd like to know (as someone authoring software
that depends on Sympy): would Sympy like to join SPEC 0?

an email to sympy+un...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/e21d2db6-8ac4-4b01-a92c-7e49eb591146n%40googlegroups.com.

email to sympy+un...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAHVvXxS%2Bh1foa1G3dfKA58Osp%3D%3DZ9W69gjRygjzphkcstqTarw%40mail.gmail.com.