>> I don't have os/2 and can't do any testing myself. Looking at the
>> winsock traces there is nothing obvious that jumps out although I would
>> have expected some handshaking coming from openssl. You indicated you
> If I understand it correctly, this handshake is normally initiated by
> SSLConnect (which fails here i.e. the handshake does not happen), right?

Yes, unless openssl on OS/2 doesn't use winsock which your next
paragraph suggests but then we have potentially another problem:
TSSLOpenSSL.Connect passes a socket handle to openssl obtained with
winsock. Is the winsock handle a transparent socket handle and usable by
non-winsock apps?
>> have another app using openssl. It would be worthwhile to take a winsock
>> trace and see if the openssl handshake shows up.
> I cannot provide Winsock trace for the other application (it doesn't use
> the Winsock layer which was included in OS/2 just as an additional
> emulation layer for easier porting from MS Windows and the used tracing
> facility is really specific for the winsock library), but I can provide
> the corresponding IP dump if that helps (that obviously wouldn't show the
> API parameters and return values, etc., but only the generated IP
> traffic).

Comparing the IP traffic between a working https connection from the
other app and synapse would give you more insight in the usability of
the winsock socket handle. If you don't see any traffic after the
initial tcp connect handshake then I guess you have your answer: the
socket handle is not usable outside winsock.
>> _SSLConnect returning -1 and _ErrGetError returning 0 sounds like
>> SSL_library_init() wasn't called or failed somewhere but then other
>> openssl functions would probably have failed before. It does suggest a
> SSL_library_init() is called.

Yes, I know. Only mentioning that the symptoms look as if it wasn't
called or failed;)
>> fatal error in openssl. You can try forcing SSLType to one of the
>> TSSLType values (default=LT_all) to see if you get a more meaningful
>> error message. Check also that SslMethodV23, SslMethodTLSV1, etc are not
>> nil.
> OK, I will try that and let you know the results.
>
> Tomas

Ludo