Stefan, are you aware that self-hosting Sync 1.5 and the FxA stack is
possible?

https://blog.mozilla.org/services/2014/05/08/firefox-accounts-sync-1-5-and-self-hosting/
https://docs.services.mozilla.com/howtos/run-sync-1.5.html
https://docs.services.mozilla.com/howtos/run-fxa.html#howto-run-fxa

You can even use a custom server in Firefox for Android:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/addon/fxa-custom-server-addon/

This isn't as easy as self-hosting Sync 1.1, but that's because the overall
system is more complicated, not because Mozilla is some nefarious actor
that's trying to steal your data.

It's also untrue that the NSA has access to your information. It's still
encrypted end-to-end, with a key that's derived from your password. Mozilla
can't decrypt that data without phishing you, which isn't significantly
different from the old Sync system — as a browser vendor we could just as
easily push out a hotfix that steals your credentials directly from the
browser, so I think your fear is somewhat misplaced.