Hi Richard, thanks for the reply. I had no awareness of this but it makes things a lot clearer.

Trying the stock browser (or Chrome, you never know) doesn't help matters. Nor does importing my CA cert into the Android security manager. This shouldn't surprise me because the server cert I'm using is invalid in another way: it's not hostname-specific (it names the parent domain only).

I can try making a wildcard cert, but if SNI isn't accepted, will that be?

What is the SNI issue about anyway? I do seem to recall reading a doc or bug that dealt with this, but I can't put my hand to it now. If neither SNI nor a wildcard cert will work I may be SOL, because name-based virtual hosting is the only option I have available (AFAICT), as the server IP won't be consistent (depending whether the client is or isn't on the local subnet). Not sure based on that whether I can make a cert that Android will be happy enough with.

I'll try cooking up a wildcard cert in the meantime and see if that does the job, I was meaning to do it anyway at some point.

Thanks,
Robin Bankhead

Quoting Richard Newman <rnew...@mozilla.com>:

Bear in mind that Sync on Android, being an Android SyncAdapter, doesn't
use Gecko's own network stack. Adding your self-signed cert inside Firefox
by browsing is not enough to make Sync use it.

Try doing the same via the Android stock browser, which uses the system
cert store.

You also need to make sure that your service doesn't use SNI.

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:08 AM, Robin Bankhead <ro...@headbank.co.uk>