+Ryan Kelly since password reset involves accounts

Very interesting article Ryan. I look forward to seeing what password reset
UX alternatives you will propose. I was under the impression that SMS
wouldn't work for us. Do you think that SMS could be a viable option?

Thanks for sharing.

--
Alex Davis // Mountain View
Product Manager // FxA & Sync

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Ryan Feeley <rfee...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I've begun researching good examples for security questions, as I imagine
> they are hard to solicit unique and memorable responses across the globe. I
> came across this paper by Google that is essentially declaring them dead.
> https://security.googleblog.com/2015/05/new-research-some-
> tough-questions-for.html
> They make the case for SMS as it's twice as successful as security
> questions.
>
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Alex Davis <ada...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Chris for sharing.
>>
>> I have a 1:1 with RFeeley today and we will look over this together.
>>
>> --
>> Alex Davis // Mountain View
>> Product Manager // FxA & Sync
>> (415) 769-9247
>> IRC & Slack: adavis
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Christopher Karlof <ckar...@mozilla.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Let me take this opportunity to make sure this problem is framed
>>> correctly:
>>>
>>> *Our goal is increase user success and satisfaction in their experience
>>> using Sync, specifically when connecting additional devices.*
>>>
>>> The obvious problem that’s been identified is that in the current
>>> system, when users go to login to FxA (for Sync or otherwise), many user’s
>>> instinctive reaction is to "login via reset password”, either because they
>>> don’t remember it or they just think it’s easier. This, of course, will
>>> create a sad time, because after the password reset, none of the data they
>>> are expecting will appear, and just to rub it in, your currently connected
>>> devices will be disconnected. Sad times all around.
>>>
>>> I see two high level approaches to address this problem: we can either
>>> limit the consequences of resetting your password (e.g., start using kA) or
>>> create flows that make it less likely users will trigger the password reset
>>> flow described above.
>>>
>>> Either way, the flows we create have to be simple, easy to use, and
>>> understandable (and of course, secure), because otherwise it’s unlikely
>>> we're increasing user success and satisfaction. Many of the approaches
>>> discussed here don’t seem that simple to me, either from the implementation
>>> POV or user POV (or both). We can likely eat implementation complexity if
>>> it results in a simple user flow, but unlikely the other way around.
>>>
>>> I feel it would be great to do some structured brainstorming around
>>> these two general approaches that persistently captures the pros and cons
>>> of various approaches (outside of an email thread) and perhaps enables
>>> people to vote on the most promising ideas. It could even lead to a Google
>>> Ventures style sprint. *Ryan F. or Alex [1], could you take the lead
>>> here?*
>>>
>>> Me personally, I have two favorites, one that limits consequences of
>>> reset and one that tries to reduce the frequency of resets:
>>>
>>> 1) I’d love to understand what it would take to start using kA for some
>>> datatypes (technically, legally, and operationally).