Hmm, attempt #3 to reply to this, Mozilla keeps bombing on me today
when I'm writing messages in Gmail...  (Hopefully none of the others
went out or I'll look more dumb than usual!)  I'll have to rely on the
Save Draft feature...  (Good thing I did, I'm on attempt #4 now.)

Anyway, I noticed the circa-2003 feeds also and saw that their data
was not fresh, but still hesitated to mark them as Dead, since the
feeds I looked at were still responding.  I went with the "when in
doubt, go on to another feed" approach.

Since reviewing is all volunteer, I figure it should be interesting
and/or fun for me, which will keep me involved when I have the time
for it.  So, I take a variety of approaches, including:

* Start at the beginning, i.e., oldest-created feeds still waiting for approval
* Use the 10 random feeds on the front page and pick a few that look
interesting.
* Do searches for feeds marked as English and look for those that
obviously aren't, so they can go into the awaiting repair queue.
* Do searches for topics I find interesting or entertaining, and/or
feeds I might want to help promote (although I should clarify that I
do *not* approve feeds just because I want to help promote them, they
still have to be functional, valid feeds).
* Use the Random Approvable Feed link to review at random.
* Use the Next Approvable Feed link when I've found a solid feed that
is probably part of a set -- for example, feeds from The Register
(IIRC) are usually solid, so I can approve a batch of those all
together.
* Do searches for feeds that use toolkits I'm not familiar with, just
out of curiosity.

Anyway, if it's drudgery then I probably won't keep doing it, so I
avoid that, while still working on the overall goal of accurately
reviewing as many feeds as possible.

-- 
Stuart "Rattlesnake Stu" Whitmore  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.just-stuart.com/


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/IRislB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to