> As I was using the "Random Approvable Feed" link to do some feed
> reviewing, I was surprised to run across a feed from the blog of a
> friend of mine from college.  (First time to say "hey, I know that
> guy" while randomly reviewing feeds.)  I'm not surprised he has one
> (or by the content), but I didn't know about it before finding it via
> Syndic8.

Ah, serendipity; it's a wonderful thing.

> 131716 (approved by me), http://weblogs.asp.net/jrule/rss.aspx
> 167478 (awaiting approval), http://blogs.msdn.com/jrule/Rss.aspx

> So are these considered duplicate (which is my inclination)?  Or
> should they be treated separately?


Hmmm, tough call.  And one that has potential to impact quite a few other
feeds as well.  In that folks could make use of either service and present
the same content.  But that's going to be true regardless of which hosting
services or tools are involved.  I might consider dropping a note to the
site author and asking which one they consider to be 'authoritative'.

Actually, there appear to be some redirects involved.  Visiting the
weblogs.asp page redirects to the msdn page.  This is for the HTML pages.
That being the case it would be reasonable to assume the 'final destination'
as the authoritative source.  I'd point the 131716 feed to the 167478 feed.

> I just looked at the channel link element and it refers to the
> blogs.msdn.com address, so if I handle it the way Bill has suggested
> for "www.somedom.tld" versus "somedom.tld" addresses, I should approve
> 167478 and mark 131716 as a duplicate.

Well, this is tricky in that it's not really a "duplicate" in the strictest
sense.  I'd go with marking it as a redirect.  Marking it duplicate is
generally intended for the www.somedom.ltd vs the plain somedom.tld
situation.  This one is clearly doing redirects on the HTML.

Tricky isn't it?

> Anyway, I figured I'd ask for guidance/opinions on this before marking
> either one as a duplicate...

Always good to ask questions.  Mark 131716 as a redirect.

Thanks for your diligence!

-Bill Kearney
Syndic8.com



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/IRislB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to