I'm not sure if this is a serious question or you're just a troll, but I'll 
reply anyway.

Carl Starrett wrote:
> Can the results from Feedvalidator.org really be trusted?  First, they
> aren't validating Atom 0.3 feeds, so everybody that uses Blogger.com
> suddenly has an "invalid" feed until/unless Blogger updates to 1.0.

They aren't "suddenly" invalid. Atom 0.3 has been deprecated for about 5 
months now and everyone was aware that pre-RFC versions of the spec would be 
declared invalid eventually. In the words of Steve Jenson [1]:

"I can only speak for Blogger's support but we're committed to keeping our 
support up to spec."

And in reply to the question of how long the migration period should last:

"2 months at the most"

It's been way more than two months. Time to starting fixing bugs.

> Also, I have notices recently a TON of feeds that don't "validate" and
> yet the Syndic8 website is able to poll the feeds just fine and
> display the recent headlines.

Just because *one* feed reader can poll a feed that doesn't mean all feed 
readers will be able to read it successfully. That's precisely why the 
feedvalidator does what it does. Its job is to be as strict as possible so 
that feed producers will be encouraged to produce valid data and feed 
readers can code to the spec without having to guess what the feed producer 
meant. Actually I thought this was one of syndic8's goals too, but maybe I'm 
mistaken.

> doesn't seem like the results are trustworthy and I hate to reject a
> feed or mark it as need repair just based on information from Feed
> Validator.

Can you please provide an example from the feedvalidator that you believe is 
untrustworthy. Specifically show how the feedvalidator's analysis disgrees 
with the specs for the feed format being used, be it RSS [2], Atom [3] or 
whatever. If there's a problem with the feedvalidator it can be reported and 
fixed.

Regards
James

[1] http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg03994.html
[2] http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss
[3] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4287


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
$15 provides a child with safe, clean water. Your gift can make a difference.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vp8GxB/icGMAA/cosFAA/IRislB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to