apolgoes.. I though my mail client had indented and highlighted your
original text... Sorry for any confusion

Chris

  _____  

From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Chris Wright
Sent: 25 January 2006 21:18
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [syndic8] Why does it have to be so complicated?


Some comments inline..

Regards

Chris

  _____  

From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
coxsoft_art
Sent: 14 January 2006 16:29
To: [email protected]
Subject: [syndic8] Why does it have to be so complicated?


I've wasted an afternoon trying to suss out this syndic8 stuff and I'm 
out of patience. I found the help files and established that I need the 
longtitude and latitude of my home city. Okay, I found those at the 
link supplied. I don't know why it should be necessary, but okay. Then 
I had to get listed on the ODP Project. Impossible. It doesn't have the 
categories I need and refuses to let me submit a website until I've 
found a suitable sub-category. It'll let me be an editor, but I don't 
have the time. I'm too busy running my websites and working. Also the 
ODP wants to grab the copyright of anything you add to it. I don't like 
the sound of that. Finally I had to locate myself on some hopeless map 
of the world that wouldn't do anything I wanted it to. What rubbish!  

Not sure why you have done the above, but all you really need to do is add
the Lat/Long to your feed info / site meta data.
You can find your lat/long by using services like Google Maps which after
you enter your location (Postcode in the UK) there is an option to get your
Lat / Long. 

Back to my original question: Why does it have to be so complicated?
What I was looking for was something like a free webcounter: download a 
few lines of HTML that link my website to the providing website, enable 
it to click up a visit and put a small graphic on my homepage. In this 
case it would need to read and syndicate my headline. If it can be made 
that simple, syndic8 will be a runaway success. 

Syndic8 is more of a directory, it does provide feeds, but its main use (or
what I use it for, is for locating feeds that I can use to syndic8 on my
site).
Once I have found those feeds, I use Feed2JS which is a snippet of code I
installed on my webservers to display syndicated content.
(Have a check at  http://www.yaps4u.net/feed2js/build.php to see it in use
and have a play with it.  Feel free to use it for your site, but don't
expect me to support 300Gigs of bandwidth a month on that server (same goes
for any other reader here).
Or if you need help installing it on your own webservers drop me a mail.

So I use Syndic8 to locate and find decent feeds, grab their feed URL's plug
them into Feed2JS and syndicate their content/feeds on my sites.

I also register my own feeds with Syndic8 so that others may search and find
my own feeds and hopefully syndicate my content on their sites.
In order to help those people searching, I provide Lat/Long, Tags of
various kinds, all kinds of Meta Data that might be usefull.

The more information you can provide in your feed, the better chance of your
feed being found in a directory (such as syndic8).

  

I've started an arts news blog and it's just the sort of site that 
needs syndication, so that anyone interested in the arts can find the 
headline and pay a quick visit to read a short news item. ODP hasn't 
even got an Arts News category, and the BBC has recently dropped its 
own Arts News Index. So there is an obvious need for arts news blogs. 
I've found one good one, but it could stand some competition.

If there is a valid reason for all the apparently unnecessary 
complications, I would be interested to read it. 

It all depends on what you think Syndic8 provides? Its a directory of feeds
and a lot of the process is automated.  Once you have suggested a feed (by
entering the URL to your atom,rss, etc etc) then it does the rest by reading
your feed and populating its database.
Now at present there are some manual stages which are performed by a team of
volunteers such as entering and assigning Tags to the entry.

So by you suggesting your feed, a reviewer will log in, verify it, validate
it, and hopefully suggest Tags (such as teh Arts) that are appropriate to
your feed.
If when you come back and check your feed entry (it will get allocated a
feedID), then if you spot information that you think is wrong, or extra
information that you think could be added. A polite email to this list will
usually result in the feed being updated within minutes. (There are
volunteers based all over the world, so someone is always awake).

Syndic8 is not the only place to 'register' your feed so that people can
find it, but IMHO, because of the actions of the volunteers, the feeds it
lists are most often, valid, good quality and exist !!

Regards

Chris





[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit
http://www.syndic8.com/ 




SPONSORED LINKS 
Business
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+finance+course&w1=Business+fin
ance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Bus
iness+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+sc
hools&c=6&s=185&.sig=I8jDsORmsaYn0BeqghcJ2w> finance course     Business
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+to+business+finance&w1=Busines
s+finance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w
4=Business+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finan
ce+schools&c=6&s=185&.sig=fCzze7cxm1K7TVKkzAaOrA> to business finance
Small
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Small+business+finance&w1=Business+fina
nce+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Busi
ness+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+sch
ools&c=6&s=185&.sig=v9sWAno7Kz4WuL8Tadcdhw> business finance    
Business
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+finance+consultant&w1=Business
+finance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4
=Business+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+financ
e+schools&c=6&s=185&.sig=d1xwT3WL0E6XBf6cAV5BXA> finance consultant
Business
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+finance+magazine&w1=Business+f
inance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=B
usiness+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+
schools&c=6&s=185&.sig=qphRINaNuVm_6bwoQxgUmg> finance magazine
Business
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+finance+schools&w1=Business+fi
nance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Bu
siness+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+s
chools&c=6&s=185&.sig=1RfnhYZpV99RKWRZzSH4gA> finance schools   

  _____  

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS 


        
*        Visit your group "syndic8 <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8> "
on the web.
  

*        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
  

*        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> . 


  _____  




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to