http://www.dalboris.com/research/vgc/

"Basic topological modeling, such as the ability to have several faces share a
common edge, has been largely absent from vector graphics. We introduce the
vector graphics complex (VGC) as a simple data structure to support fundamental
topological modeling operations for vector graphics illustrations. The VGC can
represent any arbitrary non-manifold topology as an immersion in the plane,
unlike planar maps which can only represent embeddings. This allows for the
direct representation of incidence relationships between objects and can
therefore more faithfully capture the intended semantics of many illustrations,
while at the same time keeping the geometric flexibility of stacking-based
systems. We describe and implement a set of topological editing operations for
the VGC, including glue, unglue, cut, and uncut."

Nota : i have created a wiki page to records that kind of things
http://wiki.synfig.org/wiki/Dev:Research_Paper