Interesting, there is a similar topic in pencil2d.org [1].

I know nothing about it, but I guessed MLT was not the first choice at the
beginning of sound development last year, gstreamer was one of the choices,
don't know why we did not use it finally. beside backend (lib), there are a
lot of nice "features"[2][3] of sound layer I've been expecting to land in
Synfig.

[1] http://www.pencil2d.org/forums/topic/audio-lib/
[2] http://synfig.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42&p=188
[3] http://wiki.synfig.org/Dev:Sound_Layer