I believe the cause of this problem was bad bots ignoring the robots.txt excessively hitting the ruleqa.cgi which takes a second or two to run eating up memory and CPU.

I have setup this bad bot blocker to prevent this from happening again:

https://github.com/mitchellkrogza/apache-ultimate-bad-bot-blocker

Let's keep an eye on things for a bit and see if this helps keep this server from falling over again.

Dave