---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:18:46 +0200
From: Rainer Gerhards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Wajih ur Rehman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: -sing-12 signature verifyer

Hi WG,

we have begun working on a signature verifier for -sign-12 (thanks to
Albert's work, we have something to verify:)).

We have come accross an issue with online verification. -sign-12 tella
redundadenncy parameters in section 5. Among others, they specify when a
resend should occur. However, what I didn't find is any time window
defined of within what time period a signature block should follow a
plain syslog message.

Let's assume I am doing online verification because I would like to
trigger some actions in near-realtime and I would like to make sure that
the message I am acting on is authentic.

So if I receive a message from a remote host, I must wait until I
receive the signature block with the hash for this message. It could be
infinite until this happens. I guess that most emitors will send
signature blocks in a reasonable amount of time, but it is not
specified.

I propose we add some wording on WHEN a signature block must be emitted
at latest to facilitate online verification.

Other than that, I think the main use will be offline verification (even
after years) - we are probably better off with 3195 & TLS & SASL than
with doing online verification. Is this the spirit of -sign?

Any clarification is appreciated.

Rainer