Hi Rainer,

OK, you're dragging me kicking and screaming into this discussion. ;-)

BEEP ... Difficult problem. Is this existing technology to leverage or
not?

As a CTO architect for a major equipment vendor, I have concerns about
whether BEEP is being accepted by the industry. I am not yet
recommending that my company implement it in our devices because I am
not seeing customer demand for it, competitive pressures for it,
engineers' excitement about this new technology, or adoption by other
standards bodies. I am not yet seeing it implemented in the devices of
major equipment vendors. I suspect that means other companies are also
not seeing customer demand for BEEP. Since BEEP is really an engineering
infrastructural element rather than a customer feature, that's to be
somewhat expected, but I suspect other companies are also not seeing
engineering demand for BEEP.

Among IETF protocol designers, there is fairly strong promotion and
acceptance of BEEP, and a number of WGs are building upon it.
Personally, as a protocol designer myself, I think BEEP is lightweight
and serves valuable purposes, especially the ability to simplify
leveraging existing protocols.

A few WGs have chosen to build upon BEEP, but I haven't seen demand for
the protocols built upon BEEP either, and I suspect part of that is the
dependency on the BEEP protocol which isn't currently available in the
devices. Adopting these new protocols involves implementing not just one
unproven technology; it requires implementing two unproven technologies.
I haven't seen IDWG widely accepted in the IDS market; I haven't seen
vendors building the BEEP-dependent syslog proposals. NetConf is still
debating the same issue of whether BEEP has yet been adopted widely, and
is planning to ask the operators at NANOG next month whether they want
the features of BEEP in the Netconf solution.

http://www.ietf.org/IESG/implementation.html shows no implementation
reports for BEEP, IDWG, syslog-reliable, etc.

I've checked the beepcore and roadrunner BEEP implementation web sites,
and searched the web with Google, and I turn up a few open source
applications, but I don't see major software or hardware vendors
represented.

As the NETCONF work shows, the trend is moving toward acceptance of XML
and toward Web Services. BEEP may not go far enough to compete with, and
interoperate with, the likes of protocols supported in web services such
as SOAP. Part of the issue is, if the goal is leveraging existing
protocols and interoperability between protocols, and if web services
already promises these benefits, then does BEEP offer too little to
justify adding it to the protocols supported on devices, if we might
want to support more full-fledged protocols for web services? I think
the industry has not decided it wants to go all the way to web services
level integration yet, has decided it wants something better than a
free-for-all, but isn't convinced that moving to BEEP is the right
answer.

Whether a proposed standard really becomes a standard is far more
dependent on whether the industry accepts it than on what the IETF says.
I recommend the WG look closely to see whether BEEP is really being
accepted by the industry, or just by other WGs within the IETF, before
making a decision to build a dependency on BEEP or to emulate the
XML-subset design of BEEP.

I would love to see some solid information to show that major vendors
are implementing BEEP before I see this (or any other) WG create
dependencies on it.

dbh