I concur on this point. I think read only would be fine. The rules,
filters and settings in the new syslog products are too different and
complex to map into a generic SNMP system at this stage.

The only possibility I can think of would be the ability to dump the
rule set and configuration in the form of a text file. In this way, you
would rely on the syslog daemon app to process the text and extract
rules and settings from the file.

Sort of a GetConfigFile and SetConfigFile system. The size of the file
could be an issue.

Since most syslogs out there (WinSyslog, Kiwi Syslog, SDSC, Syslog-ng
etc) use a config file, or can be made to read from a config file, the
get/set system might work. You would have to place a meaningful tag at
the beginning of the file to identify the format etc.

Would that work for you Rainer?

Regards

Andrew