Just noticed this in RFC 3339 (Section 4.4):

"Systems that are configured with a local time, are unaware of the corresponding UTC
offset, and depend on time synchronization with other Internet systems, MUST use a
mechanism that ensures correct synchronization with UTC."

Since -protocol is a distributed protocol where multiple hosts can generate syslog
messages to one syslog server, one can say that syslog "depends on hosts
synchronization with other Internet systems".  Does this mean that syslog clients and
servers MUST be aware of their UTC offset?  Are we going to require this in -protocol?
 Besides, I don't think RFC 3339 specifies any designation for "unknown" offset, so
what will such client provide?

Anton.

PS:  BTW, just as an FYI, I searched rfc-editor.org web site and came across only one
other RFC which uses RFC 3339 format (RFC3340).  I think if we are worried about
acceptability of -protocol, this could be yet another slight concern.  I think RFC
3339 time stamp is unlike anything that is in wide use and people may have some
initial reservations about it until it becomes more accepted.  I like it, accept for
"T" and "Z" characters. Unfortunately, ANSI and ISO standards are worse.