Rainer:

> > "Systems that are configured with a local time, are unaware
> > of the corresponding UTC offset, and depend on time
> > synchronization with other Internet systems, MUST use a
> > mechanism that ensures correct synchronization with UTC."
> >
> > Since -protocol is a distributed protocol where multiple
> > hosts can generate syslog messages to one syslog server, one
> > can say that syslog "depends on hosts synchronization with
> > other Internet systems".  Does this mean that syslog clients
> > and servers MUST be aware of their UTC offset?  Are we going
> > to require this in -protocol?  Besides, I don't think RFC
> > 3339 specifies any designation for "unknown" offset, so what
> > will such client provide?
>
> Actually, I think we can't ensure this. The real world is
> against us. You are right, I should specify that a syslog
> sender MUST offer a way learn its time zone, but I am very
> hesitant to demand time sync for syslog. I guess everybody in
> this WG knows how important time sync is, yet this is a
> real-life issue. Admin's don't use NTP, they don't configure
> time zones and device clocks are often set to wild values.
>
> So I think we should demand the capability to set the time
> zone in any syslog sender - but not go any further.

Well, I think demanding that capability is more about host
implementation.  I think it is better to focus on the protocol and what
the client/sender must put into the UTC offset field if one is not set
on the system.  We can't tell them to put "-00:00" or "+00:00" as this
has special meaning in the RFC. I would say that UTC offset if a MUST,
while time sync is a SHOULD. If offset is not a MUST, then we MUST
specify what they put as offset to indicate it is unknown.  Yaks. Crappy
little rule? :)

Anton.