Hi All,

I am a bit sad that I use Andrew's message to say this... but Andrew has
just made an important point that enlightens me on David's thought that
those CLRs  (crappy little rules [I like this term]) really cause
trouble. So Andrew please don't take my objection personally, I see your
reasoning behind it...

... but this is an excellent sample on how granting one exception (the
0x00 case) leads to calls for further exceptions (0x0a in this case). I
have to admit I didn't think well enough about this.

Also, I was technically incorrect in insisting on 0x00 to be too hard
for C. Actually, I worked out a surprisingly easy, obvious and
well-known escaping mechanism to handle 0x00 once the message is
received. It looks like I was just too narrow-minded to think with an
open enough mind to solve it. Thanks to all who kept pushing me :)

But, honestly, even if I would not see an easy solution for the C case,
I think we should follow David's advise and avoid any such rules (like
the 0x00 exception). In the long term, they cause more trouble in the
long term than the solve initially.

So I, too, now vote that we must support any valid UTF-8 sequence in the
MSG part, which includes 0x00. If nobody objects, I will change
-protocol to specify this. If you have objections, I would appreciate if
you could reply relatively quickly, as I try to get -03 out before
Seoul.

Now let me come to the C implementation and other things, like syslog
storage format. As we have discussed on this list, these things are - at
least at first look - not relevant to IETF work. This is because they
simply don't talk about on-the-wire protocols. And only this is scope of
the IETF. Anyhow, it would definitely be a positive undertaking to reach
concensus among implementors how those things should be addressed. To
have a "least common denominator approach" that customers could expect
to be in syslog products they purchase/use. Even for the implementors
among us, such an approach would simplify things when it comes to the
parsing and analysis stage.

I have talked to Chris as well as Tina Bird, who is the moderator of the
loganalysis mailing list
(http://lists.shmoo.com/mailman/listinfo/loganalysis). We have agreed
that we can move discussion for non-IETF topics over to loganalysis. The
big plus in this is that there are also many, many administrators on the
list, so we will most probably get a lot of feedback from the end user
camp, too. I think this is extremely valuable.

I plan, however, to focus just some few days on -protocol and not
directly start this other discussion. I think this serves our deadlines
(Seoul meeting) better than doing too much in parallel. After that, I
plan to post an initial message for those topics on the loganalysis
list. If Chris permits, I would cross-post these message here to the WG
list (together with my whish to only reply to loganalysis;)).

I hope this is a good proposal, one that will allow us to make syslog
even more interoperable than it is today.

Rainer