Rainer:

I am really struggling with that restriction not to standardize syslog
storage in IETF.  It diminishes the value of the syslog protocol as
people can't write a standard syslog parser.

It would be nice if we could find another standards body which could be
used to address that aspect. I assume log analysis mailing list is not
affiliated with a standards body, or is it? I wonder if there is good
precedent out there of two standards bodies working in tandem like this.
Maybe W3C?

Somebody suggested to me an idea that maybe a bit wild, but could
address this.  A protocol for syslog server to return messages it has
stored.  It could be UDP-based. How much less efficient would that be
than reading a file?  I don't think the difference will be huge as I/O
will likely be the bigger bottleneck anyway.   Essentially, the messages
could be returned using the same -protocol & -transport and we just need
to add some request/response semantics.  This does sound pretty wild,
but desperate times call for desperate measures :) and I thought I would
just pass it along.

Anton.