Rainer, Sam and all:

I know that Cisco, for one, has great interest in this work.  I agree WG
participation is weak, but I think a lot of people are lurking and only voicing
opinions when they see issues that really matter to them.  Truth is, a lot of
the issues are probably not significant enough for people to bother to voice
preferences.  But that does not mean that there is lack of interest in a syslog
standard, or that it is not important.

I have been involved in logging standardization (internal and public) for 4
years now. And it is always hard to get people excited about logging, even
thought many people realize it is important.  Very few people specialize on
logging problems or care to think about them for more than 1 minute.  So, I'd
venture to say that what we observe in this WG is not unique. Low
participation, in this case, does not diminish the value of the work produced
by a few people who specialize on the problem.

We just need a process that allows work to come to fruition. To this end, I
will try to propose very specific clarifications for charter next week.

Thanks,
Anton.