Darren,

I fully agree with you. My understanding is that John just needs to
transmit text in the MSG part which co-incidently "looks like" XML It
must, however, a bit longer than 1K, which is backed by the current
state of discussion. I, too, strongly object mandating XML or anything
else formatted in a specific way (other than structured data). I have
begun to become very sceptic about RFC 3195 (again, I have implemented
it). I think we need to very carefully evaluate it *after* we have
finished the base work.

BTW: my recent findings about the total incompatibility of various
well-deployed implementations are a strong point that we need to
standardize the basic format. But just what the bare essentials - and
the quicker, the better. Already a lot of time has passed.

Rainer