From: "Moehrke, John (GE Healthcare)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Darren Reed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 4:02 PM
Subject: RE: [Syslog] RE: Message format

I don't think we are asking for anything specific. The XML payload (RFC
3881) is text, and somewhat human readable. We went with XML payload
because we have well defined object identifiers that have been
standardized and used throughout the hospital by many different systems
provided by many different vendors. These identifiers cover data
objects, patients, doctors, equipment, drugs, orders, etc... Taking this
nicely coded information and putting it into a unformatted string seemed
very counter. The XML string is descriptive enough that simple string
parsing works, but is also well defined so that XML parsing can be done
as well.

What I am trying to do is figure out if the charter for this group is
really to force the payload to be a human readable text string, or if
the payload can include an XML formatted event description.

We do not need binary. We do not need Mega-Byte MTUs. We really have
tried to fit within the requirements that we understood syslog to have.
We (healthcare) want to do what we do best (treat patients), and leave
you (syslog) community to what you do best. We don't want to
analyze/report/alert/etc on security events, we expect you are experts
in this field. It is a shame to see this get in the way of an
opportunity for both of us.

John