On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 06:29 -0800, Chris Lonvick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I forgot to address the use of SSH for authentication.  The isms WG is
> trying to use SSH to provide security for SNMPv3.  This can be done by
> having the devices authenticate by having a username and credential
> (password, public key, etc.).  Again, this sounds to me like it's getting
> further away from the ease of deployment for syslog than we'd like.
> However, Rainer mentioned that he thought some people were already using
> SSH to transport syslog.  I need to ask:  How many people have
> implementations that use SSH, and how many are planning this?

I for one (syslog-ng) don't plan to add native support to SSH, although
SSH can be integrated into syslog-ng by using the program destination,
something like this:

program("ssh -i /etc/syslog-ng/ssh.key [EMAIL PROTECTED] /usr/bin/logger -f");

However I don't see this as a very good solution. On the other hand I'm
planning on adding TLS natively (instead of using stunnel style hacks).

--
Bazsi