Hi Tom,

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Tom Petch wrote:

Replying to no-one specifically, I think one significant consideration is being
missed.

Basing security on a secure transport may already exist as an implementation but
not as an I-D.  I expect it to take at least 6 months, more like 12, to produce
an IESG ready I-D.  By that time, our long-suffering editor of syslog-protocol
says he will have had to stand down.  I believe that means we will never produce
the two I-Ds needed for advancement and that the WG will shut down with nothing
done.

More hopefully, I do believe that the threats can be met by syslog-sign.  Almost
every user I talk to about security wants encryption.  I have to work very hard
to do so, but mostly succeed, in demonstrating to them that what they need is
message origin authentication and integrity and it just so happens that that is
what most IPS protocols offer, and, even better, it is much cheaper than
encryption.

I believe syslog falls into this category for most users, and that the aims of
syslog-sign will meet most requirements.  I hear it criticised for having the
wrong algorithms.  Fine, we must change that since every security system
nowadays should be algorithm agnostic.  MD5 got busted, fine we switch to SHA-1.
SHA-1 under threat, no problem, roll on SHA-256.  This process will go on for
ever so we must incorporate it in anything we produce - like syslog-sign.

And, given the state of syslog-sign, current editors still willing, I believe we
can get those two I-Ds ready inside four monhts.

The only realistic alternative would be to incorporate signature blocks in the
style of syslog-sign in the structured data of the message being authenticated.

Your suggestion has good reasoning behind it.

I have not heard back from anyone about how SSL is currently being implemented for syslog. From that, I might conclude that message confidentiality is not a priority for the community. (Responses to that would be welcome.)

If origin authentication, and loss detection are important then syslog-sign is a fit. Can we get some discussion on this?

Thanks,
Chris