> My 2 cents... Do the byte counting. Look at the headers of
> pretty much any successful protocol (TCP, IP, UDP, etc) -
> they all specify length of payload.  Special character
> sequence is really a hack IMO!

After some thinking, I agree with Anton. I, too, think that
octet-counting is superior, as it leaves the door open for changes in
the upper layer. So I now strongly vote for using this approach.

> Just to be clear, there was never any intention to allow
> multiple messages per UDP datagram.  So, this discussion
> probably does not apply to the UDP transport mapping.

I agree on this point with Anton. We should not add any additional
overhead to the UDP transport. There is few reasoning for multi-chunk
messages in a potentially 448-octet constraint message. There may be
some valid use cases with ultra-compact messenging, but that should
probably done in another transport and/or optionally in a revision once
we got some experience with actual implementations.

Rainer