I agree that Darren is overreacting in words, but maybe not in substance.  I
think that a co-chair generally plays some role within his own company, and
can/should steer it away from behavior disruptive to the work of the standards
body that this co-chair is overseeing. I would expect that from a co-chair,
anyway.  Particularly, when it comes to frivolous patents that serve nothing
other than cast a shadow over the potential standard and hamper enthusiasm of
WG members.

While I certainly don't have enough information to judge what has gone on
within that company, I would agree that appearance is not good because it
raises doubt about potential co-chair involvement in an activity which hinders
WG work. Let me be clear, I don't question David's personal character, but if
the *appearance* of potential conflict of interests serves to de-motivate WG
members, I don't think it is a good thing. It is a little bit weird for a group
to be led by a person from company which cast shadow over viability of the
standard.

I have personally spent a lot of effort on this work over the years. And if
members of WG feel betrayed, rightly or wrongly, I would side with their point
of view, so the work can continue with less friction.

Thanks,
Anton.