From: "David Harrington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Chris Lonvick'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'Miao Fuyou'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'Tom Petch'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 7:59 PM
Subject: RE: [Syslog] delineated datagrams

As you probably know by now, I like to see design reuse across IETF NM
solutions, especially across SNMP, syslog, ipfix, and netconf where
feasible.

As all the IETF NM protocols move toward similar secure transport
solutions, including moving from datagrams to streams, it would be a
good thing to use consistent aproaches to framing.

Here is what is happening in the other IETF NM protocols:

<snip>

The NETCONF protocol uses an RPC-based communication model.
From
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-netconf-prot-12.txt:
   NETCONF peers use <rpc> and <rpc-reply> elements to provide
transport
   protocol-independent framing of NETCONF requests and responses.

Ok as far as it goes but incomplete.  As the ssh mapping says,

" As the previous example illustrates, a special character sequence,
   ]]>]]>, MUST be sent by both the client and the server after each XML
   document in the NETCONF exchange.  This character sequence cannot
   legally appear in an XML document, so it can be unambigiously used to
   indentify the end of the current document in the event of an XML
   syntax or parsing error, allowing resynchronization of the NETCONF
   exchange."
.
Wishing to promote design reuse across IETF NM solutions, especially across the
character-based ones, I did propose the same separator for syslog over tls and
still see it as the technically best solution (even though our message content
can be anything and so, unlike NETCONF, we cannot rely 100% on that not
appearing in our message content).

David Harrington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]