Carson,

Legacy code does not contain LF in messages. It is advised that
new-style syslog also does not contain control characters (though it now
is allowed).

Thus the argument is valid. Again, I do not object octet-couting (I
actually introduced the idea ;)) but find it the second best-solution.
Maybe we should do a simple poll - some have already voiced their
choices...

Rainer