From: Chris Lonvick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 3:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Syslog] Draft Shepherding document
fordraft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-04.txt

Hi,

Below is the first draft for the shepherding document for
draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-04.txt.  Please review and
send feedback
to the list.

All of this is pending final reviews of the latest document submitted.

===
Having passed a WG Last Call,
draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-04.txt is
ready for AD review.

[Area] SECURITY
[WG]   syslog
[I-D]  draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-04.txt
[Qver] draft-ietf-proto-wgchair-doc-shepherding-08.txt
[Shep] Chris Lonvick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

===
    (1.a)  Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Has the
           Document Shepherd personally reviewed this version of the
           document and, in particular, does he or she believe this
           version is ready for forwarding to the IESG for
publication?
Chris Lonvick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Yes; I believe that the document is ready for publication.
===
    (1.b)  Has the document had adequate review both from key
WG members
           and from key non-WG members?  Does the Document
Shepherd have
           any concerns about the depth or breadth of the reviews that
           have been performed?

Adequate review has occurred from WG members, and it has been reviewed
by others.  The reviews of the WG Last Call for this document (-03
version) may be found here:

Bert Wijnen's review (not a member of the WG mailing list)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/syslog/current/msg01244.html

John Calcote's review
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/syslog/current/msg01199.html

Other reviews of particular sections and concepts fill the WG mailing
list.  Of note is Eric Rescorla's review (of -02)
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/syslog/current/msg01100.html

The issues raised in these reviews have been discussed on the mailing
list and I am satisfied about the level of review.
===
    (1.c)  Does the Document Shepherd have concerns that the document
           needs more review from a particular or broader perspective,
           e.g., security, operational complexity, someone
familiar with
           AAA, internationalization or XML?

I have no concerns.
===
    (1.d)  Does the Document Shepherd have any specific concerns or
           issues with this document that the Responsible
Area Director
           and/or the IESG should be aware of?  For example,
perhaps he
           or she is uncomfortable with certain parts of the
document, or
           has concerns whether there really is a need for it.  In any
           event, if the WG has discussed those issues and
has indicated
           that it still wishes to advance the document, detail those
           concerns here.

There are no concerns about the technical merit of the document.
===
    (1.e)  How solid is the WG consensus behind this
document?  Does it
           represent the strong concurrence of a few individuals, with
           others being silent, or does the WG as a whole
understand and
           agree with it?

There is strong consensus to publish this document.
===
    (1.f)  Has anyone threatened an appeal or otherwise
indicated extreme
           discontent?  If so, please summarise the areas of
conflict in
           separate email messages to the Responsible Area
Director.  (It
           should be in a separate email because this questionnaire is
           entered into the ID Tracker.)

No appeals have been threatened.
===
    (1.g)  Has the Document Shepherd personally verified that the
           document satisfies all ID nits?  (See
           http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html and
           http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/).  Boilerplate
checks are
           not enough; this check needs to be thorough.  Has
the document
           met all formal review criteria it needs to, such as the MIB
           Doctor, media type and URI type reviews?

XXX - Let's see what --04 looks like - XXX
===
    (1.h)  Has the document split its references into normative and
           informative?  Are there normative references to
documents that
           are not ready for advancement or are otherwise in
an unclear
           state?  If such normative references exist, what is the
           strategy for their completion?  Are there
normative references
           that are downward references, as described in
[RFC3967]?  If
           so, list these downward references to support the Area
           Director in the Last Call procedure for them [RFC3967].

The references are split into normative and informational references.
The document is dependant upon draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-08.txt
and draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-18.txt which are being submitted
along with this document.

It is not dependent on draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-08.txt. I suggest
you remove that dependency. -protocol is dependent on both tranports,
but the transport so far only depend on -protocol.

Will do.

===
    (1.i)  Has the Document Shepherd verified that the document IANA
           consideration section exists and is consistent
with the body
           of the document?  If the document specifies protocol
           extensions, are reservations requested in appropriate IANA
           registries?  Are the IANA registries clearly
identified?  If
           the document creates a new registry, does it define the
           proposed initial contents of the registry and an allocation
           procedure for future registrations?  Does it suggested a
           reasonable name for the new registry?  See
           [I-D.narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis].  If
the document
           describes an Expert Review process has Shepherd
conferred with
           the Responsible Area Director so that the IESG can
appoint the
           needed Expert during the IESG Evaluation?

The document IANA section is complete and the requested registries are
clearly marked.

The registry name as required by
I-D.narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis is not yet present.

Noted.  That can be changed in AUTH48 if we have no other changes.

===
    (1.j)  Has the Document Shepherd verified that sections of the
           document that are written in a formal language, such as XML
           code, BNF rules, MIB definitions, etc., validate
correctly in
           an automated checker?

The ABNF in the document has been verified through
  http://www.apps.ietf.org/abnf.html
===
    (1.k)  The IESG approval announcement includes a Document
           Announcement Write-Up.  Please provide such a Document
           Announcement Writeup?  Recent examples can be found in the
           "Action" announcements for approved documents.
The approval
           announcement contains the following sections:

           Technical Summary
              Relevant content can frequently be found in the abstract
              and/or introduction of the document.  If not,
this may be
              an indication that there are deficiencies in
the abstract
              or introduction.

    This document describes the use of Transport Layer
Security (TLS) to
    provide a secure connection for the transport of syslog messages.
    This document describes the security threats to Syslog and how TLS
    can be used to counter such threats.

           Working Group Summary
              Was there anything in WG process that is worth
noting?  For
              example, was there controversy about particular
points or
              were there decisions where the consensus was
particularly
              rough?

There was controversy around the IPR statement from Huawei from this
document.  The Working Group examined the issue and came to
consensus that
the statement would be accepted.

There was controversy around the use of a version number within the
payload.  Since this implementation is close to the
fire&forget model of
traditional syslog/udp, no signalling of errors from the
receiver will
occur.  There was a concern on the mailing list that if the method of
inserting the payload into the transport were to change in
the future, the
recipient may not be able to parse the information.  Hence
the WG decided
upon a version number at the start of the payload.  The WG
consensus at
this time is to have a version number as a field in the payload.

I did have the impression that removal of the version number was
consensus. Today, I learnt we didn't actaully discuss this. I can life
with and without version number. I'd happily accept a chair decision.
However, if we stick with the version number, I think we must look into
the mechanism on what to do when the receiver does not accept it (see my
review from earlier today).

I'm still looking at the recent comments on that.

There was some controversy around the use of a special
character to denote
the end of the payload, or a counter at the start of the payload to
indicate the length of the payload.  The Working Group has
consent that a
counter is the best mechanism.

           Document Quality
              Are there existing implementations of the
protocol?  Have a
              significant number of vendors indicated their plan to
              implement the specification?  Are there any
reviewers that
              merit special mention as having done a thorough review,
              e.g., one that resulted in important changes or a
              conclusion that the document had no substantive
issues?  If
              there was a MIB Doctor, Media Type or other
expert review,
              what was its course (briefly)?  In the case of
a Media Type
              review, on what date was the request posted?

This protocol has very similar characteristics to implementations of
syslog over ssl that are available at this time.  The author of that
implementation has indicated that he will make changes to
conform to this
specification.

I am not sure if we can really say this. True, both use syslog over ssl
and the overall idea is exactly the same. The details, however, differ
greatly. Currently existing syslog/ssl uses octet-stuffing for framing
(LF inserted as end of record marker) while -transport-tls utilizes
octet-counting. While this is a small difference in design, it will make
existing implementations and -transport-tls implementations
non-interoperable. On the other hand, it should be extremely easy to
adopt existing code to the new way of doing things (even concurrently to
existing practice). Maybe this is worth noting.

I'll change the text to be:

This protocol has very similar characteristics to implementations of syslog over ssl that are available at this time. Members of the Working Group have noted that it should be a very small change to bring those implementations in line with this specification.

No vendors have announced that they will utilize this protocol.  Some
vendors have indicated interest in supporting this document.
The above named reviewers did an outstanding and thorough job.

           Personnel
              Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?
 Who is the
              Responsible Area Director?
[Area] SECURITY
[WG]   syslog
[I-D]  draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-04v.txt
[Qver] draft-ietf-proto-wgchair-doc-shepherding-08.txt
[Shep] Chris Lonvick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[AD]   Sam Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
===

Thanks,
Chris