On 04/14/2014 06:38 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> The installer will make sure that the ESP is on GPT and carries the right
>>> type UUID. We do that for safety reasons, since that's the requirement
>>> made by UEFI, and how the bootloader is found.
>>>
>>> You cannot place the ESP on sw RAID, since the firmware might want to
>>> write to the ESP (most won't do that, but could, and the tianocore
>>> implemenation you use in qemu certainly does).
>>
>> Does UEFI allow firmware to write to ESP ?
>>
>> If so that would indeed prevent ESP to be on soft RAID.
>
> Sure, it does. You can just start an EFI Shell and edit any file in the ESP.

yes but I would be deliberately asking to the firmware to write to ESP
in that case.

> The only safe (at least in theory) thing is to have a "bios raid"
> driver included in the EFI firmware itself, which sets up the ESP to
> be the mirrored disks. With that, writes from the firmware will end up
> on both disks without any operating system involved.

Indeed, that gives one (and only one) reason to use fake raid over soft
one unfortunately.

> Setting up the ESP as a raid without explicit firmware support does
> not sound like a good idea.

Sad because I'm currently finding the gain to be able to write to ESP
through the EFI shell very tiny compare to be able to have ESP mirrored.

Thanks