On Thu, 07.08.14 18:11, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (johan...@gmail.com) wrote:

> Arguably one of journals major/only shortcoming compared to what's
> out there is it's lack the ability to send syslog messages over the
> syslog network protocol but I think it's just a matter of time until
> it does, since it's arguably unavoidable ( think for example
> containers here and I would be amazed if submitted patches would be
> rejected that would add that )

Networking is a worthy goal and we (especially Zbigniew) are working
towards it, but I am not sure this implies using the BSD syslog
protocol.

BSD syslog is lossy and very weakly defined. The problems of
normalization are problems I have no intention to ever deal with. If
people want to forward the journal over BSD syslog/UDP, then that's
totally OK, but there's rsyslog for that, that can do that just fine, so
I am not sure why the journal would need that.

Note that containers already have pretty nice journal integration. For
example "journalctl -M foobar" gives you the logs of container "foobar",
and so on. No networking involved with that, just direct disk access.