I find it interesting that when all of you post you throw names out like Pirie, Zatopek and Igloi's. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT TODAY'S AMERICANS. Listen, being 25 and having run at least at one time with guys in pretty much every distance final at USATF's at one point or another... and because discussing training brings great joy to my life, I can tell you that TODAY'S AMERICANS do NOT train as much quality as I would imagine it would take to run as fast as the E. Africans. In the US we have two mode's of thinking... "easy" mileage or lots of shorter faster runs. People don't undertstand... you need to be doing mileage, fast and often, with workouts 3-5 times a week where you focus on ALL aspects of running including sprinting! Its not one or the other. Its not 150 miles easy or 80 miles hard. Its 150 miles hard with workouts.

From: "P.F.Talbot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "\"Athletics\"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: t-and-f: 12:57 last 5000
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:39:12 -0600

On hard training. People seem to forget that Pirie, Zatopek and Igloi's
runners would run 100+ mile weeks of intervals. People trained "harder" in
that era than in any other. Obviously it didn't produce sub 27:00 10k's. I
seriously doubt that it's a matter of western runners not training hard
enough.

If there is a mental block my guess it would be more on the lines of,
"they're on drugs so we can't beat them."  To which I say, go do drugs, but
that's another matter entirely.