>> > Okay, now that we know the name, I think it would best for USATF to reveal
>> > what was the basis for his exoneration.  The LA Times article only says that
>> > Young denied all wrongdoing.

Actually the Times DID explain the basis for the exoneration.

Young was tested many times in that year, including something like
10 days before and 10 days after the one test that turned up positive.
The Times article had the exact dates.
All other tests were negative.

After initially notifying Young that he was going to be suspended,
he immediately appealed, locking USATF into a non-disclosure bylaw
until the appeal was resolved. (the bylaw had been forced on USATF
by U.S. courts)  At the USATF Appeals Board Hearing, an expert witness
said that the positive test was very closely "sandwiched" between
negatives, (sandwich was indeed the phrase they used), and given
what they understand about the substance that was found- nandro, and
the rate at which is clears out of the body, he felt that either the
positive test was a laboratory error, or the negative test ten days
later was a laboratory error, because it was IMPOSSIBLE for the nandro
to get out of his system that fast- there was no other explanation other
than one lab error or the other.

Apparently the board never found exactly WHAT kind of error happened
in the labs, but they used the sandwich/scientific impossibility expert
witness as the basis for their reversal.  Basically they said there had
to be one of two laboratory errors, either the one that turned out positive
or the next one that was negative.  And there was no WAY they were gonna
suspend an athlete when a lab error ONE WAY OR ANOTHER was at the heart
of the issue.

The USATF Appeal Board completed their hearing and issued their reversal well
in advance of the Sydney Olympics.  Given the reversal, they sealed the
records, again in accordance with their bylaws.

Later that year, or early next year (after the Olympics), the IAAF
demanded USATF records on such cases, and the two organizations argued
for a while about it.  The IAAF was very slow in responding to USATF
communication, it was determined later.

Finally, USATF and IAAF agreed to follow their previously agreed to
procedures and refer the matter to an Sports Arbritration Board in
Switzerland.

The Arbritration Board in Switzerland then reviewed the same facts of
the case, except that Young's name was replaced with Athlete #123456 (I
don't remember the number- it was in the article).  Except once during
the hearing somebody blurted out Young's name by mistake- and some people
think this is how it eventually got leaked.
Anyway, after review of the facts the Arbritrators chose to let the USATF
Appeals Board ruling to reverse stand without change.
They did however issue a comment at the time, if I remember correctly,
that USATF and IAAF should have communicated better.

Dick Pound does not want to listen to any of these facts.

NOW----obviously the scientific validity of the 'sandwich/impossibility'
basis can be argued.
It's already been argued- before two different panels.
It could also be argued that immediately after the USATF Appeals Board
issued their reversal, they should have IMMEDIATELY forwarded the records
to the IAAF (with the athlete's name expunged if necessary) for review.
The lawyers for both sides were arguing this one at the time apparently.
USATF was afraid if the name came out (and they didn't trust IAAF staffers
on that matter), they might get hauled before an American court judge on
a negligence/defamation charge.  Whether they seriously considered the
"send the records with name expunged option" is unknown.
For American critics it's always been "we want the names!"- they're more
interested in the names than the facts of the case- pretty much in line
with the 'suspend and keep suspended until a final appeal reverses' to
protect other athletes 'winnings', rather than protecting the rights of
the accused in making a living and 'innocent until proven guilty'.
The other thing that might have been done, had communication been better
and procedures been worked out better AT THAT TIME, would have been for
the Swiss Arbritration Court to take up the matter within a week or two
of the USATF Appeals Board reversal.  The whole thing could have been
resolved before the Sydney Olympics (one way or the other), and there would
now be NO ARGUMENT FROM POUND ABOUT TAKING BACK ANY SYDNEY MEDALS.