On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 21:24:34 -0700, you wrote:

>19.     How you can make money at the next Trials’ (assuming it’s in Sac,
>and the stands’ cover doesn’t materialize):  Get the hat concession.  Great
>hat variety on display on heads in the stands, but many were improvised
>(add hanky to baseball cap; add Go Marion! Fan to baseball cap) and in need
>of upgrade.  And too many did without.

My wife noted that we could have come home filthy rich if we
had a seat cushion concession.
The reason people kept standing was to alleviate the pain of hours
of butt-bone on metal.

My wife's most vivid memory of the '83 Coliseum Classic track meet in
L.A. (inaugurating the new Olympic track- the meet was basically USA vs East
Germany if I remember right) was a concessionaire going up and down the
Colisseum steps yelling "SEAT CUSHIONS- GET YOUR SEAT CUSHIONS....HERE!! "
The guy had it down cold, as good as Roger the peanut vendor at Dodger
Stadium.
We still have one of those cushions, in fairly good shape after 17 years.
It says Coliseum Classic on it, with a meet logo.

Anyway, last week I finally went down to a K-Mart near our hotel in
Sacramento and got a couple of U.S. Coast Guard- approved flotation cushions.
Not only made things comfy, but they are approved Coast Guard
"throwable devices", or so the label says, and I was ready to go into
rescue mode in case the DOC started to go down for the third time in the
steeplechase pit again.

A booth selling cushions with a USATF logo and a motto like "Craig
Masbach says put your butt here!" would make a killing.

RT