----- Original Message -----
From: Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: franno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: t-and-f: Micheal Johnson

> > The Americans will NOT beat Obikwelu, Thompson, Boldon or Da Silva.  NO
> > MEDAL.  They could be running 19.2's.
>

> America has a better shot of placing two on the 200 stand than the 100
stand
> .. Of the individuals you named previosuly, only Boldon has a better PR
than
> Capel .. And none of them have better seasonal times than the 3 Americans
> who will be in Sydney .. And if you don't think surviving the Trials in
what
> has got to be one of the largest pre-hyped media circuses in history did
not
> strengthen these 3 men then you deserve the shock you are going to receive
> when at least one (if not 2) of them medal at the games .. Boldon has a
> history of cracking in the big meets (indoors and outdoors), Thompson has
> never broken 20.00 and has not performed at his own top level for bout 3
> years now .. And da Silva has been solid but not great .. The onlyone of
the
> group that has shown any improvement this year is Obikwelu who I would
> expect to medal at the games .. But I am afraid that a 9.97 100 PR is not
> going to get him close enough to 19.20 !!!
>
> > I will be sure to remind you of this post periodically.
>
> ACtually I am willing to bet that therte are many on this list who will be
> more than happy to remind YOU of the post at the appropriate time ..

Let me clarify.    The "they" is not meant to refer to Boldon. Obikwelu etc.

"They"  refers to the Americans.   Even if "they" run 19.2 they will receive
a whipping that will ensure that the people on this list shut up, or revert
to the usual arguments about drugs, led by Mr.  Conway himself.

Let's face it.  The world has gone past your sprint coaches.   Do you
remember what happened at the World Championships in Seville?  Men's 400m
final?  3 fastest men in the world?  I bet you all thought sweep.  Just like
you're thinking now for the 200m.   Did you know about Cardenas and
Parrella?

Bad coaching will ensure that at least 2 of your guys fail to make the
final.   Capel cannot hold his form until September.  My prediction about
the 200m has nothing to do with ability.   It has everything to do with a
lack of respect for the coaching received by Miller, Heard and Capel.

The same thing will happen at the Olympics.  Forget Capel and Heard.  If YOU
CANNOT RUN THE TIMES IN EUROPE, THEN YOU HAVE NOT RUN THE TIMES.   Suddenly
fast times run by the Americans on Day 9 of the trials do not count, in my
opinion.

Lets recap some of these times.

Coby Miller  19.96      What did he run in the 100m?  His better event?
Bernard Williams 20.03     Same question?
Floyd Heard  19.88
JOANNA HAYES !    12.65
ANGIE VAUGHAN       12.83    Cracks 13.00 for the first time in 2-3 years.
Tonya Lawson 12.78
Melissa Morrison   12.57
Sharon Jewell     12.68       ran 13.6  yesterday in Austria

Amazing!

You got to reproduce these times somewhere else.   I for one do NOT believe
them.

Regards

Stephen Francis