----- Original Message -----
From: Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: franno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: American Sprinting ( was Re: t-and-f: Micheal Johnson)

> Not true .. Tim Montgomery was bronze medallist in the 97 worlds at 100 ..
> Andre Cason was silver medallist in the 100 at the 93 Worlds .. And while
> am assuming that you are referring primarily to the 100, MJ won the 91 &
95
> world 200s .. And Jeff Williams was the bronze medallist in the 95 world
200
> ..

I apologise.  Cason and Montgomery are exceptions.  But since when do
Americans accept silver and bronze?  GOLD baby GOLD!  In the past, winners
were produced.   Nowadays, since the 1990s, the US is struggling to produce
non-HSI  medallists of any type.

> First off Tim Montgomery and Brian Lewis both went to Norfolk State and
were
> coached by former world class sprinter Steve Riddick who seemed to do a
> pretty good job with them .

Both those left Norfolk early.  I can't even recall Tim Montgomery running
even a conference meet before he turned pro.

. Secondly I think you would get a huge argument
> from a lot of colleges regarding whether or not they turn out world class
> sprinters ..
South Carolina has produced Terrence Trammell who is world
> class in both the 100 and 110 hurdles

The argument is not about world class sprinters.   One time does not a top
sprinter make.

 .. And the University of Florida has
> produced in succeeding seasons a sprinter who ran 10.03/19.97, lost him
and
> turned around and produced another who ran 9.99/20.03 and enough speed to
go
> 38.35 with an all US lineup

Bernard Williams who I assume is the "another" you mentioned was a top class
sprinter with a title long before he got to Florida.   In case you forget,
he is the Pan Am Games 100m Champion.

BTW, didn't he place lower in the US trials this year than he did last year?

.. Auburn has a tradition of producing quality
> sprinters including this year's Coby Miller who has run 9.98 and 19.88 ..

What is the tradition?

> And I won't even mention TCU which seems to be the favorite training
ground
> of the Jamaican team !!!

Don't go there!   You do not want to hear a list of  Jamaican sprinters
going in vs.  sprinters coming out at TCU.

Regards

Stephen Francis